Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lighting workshop? Should I or shouldn't I?

Back in the fall of this year I had the awesome opportunity to travel to Woodland Hills in Utah for a workshop on lighting with the fabulous Nichole Van. I have one word for this workshop - Wow! Okay... Wowee-wow-wow!


We met in the classroom in her beautiful home and learned at the master’s feet. Going into the session I was a little afraid that I would be overwhelmed and not quite knowledgeable enough, but both she and her husband were very down to earth and VERY helpful. Having taught at the nearby college she knew how to TEACH (which so many of the teachers who have presented workshops I have attended don’t). The information was well thought out and presented in such a way that photographers from all levels could follow along and keep up. The handouts (or should I say textbook) too, have been very helpful as I have referred back to them often.


I came away with a knowledge on how to light my pictures in all situations – especially how to light in the middle of the day. That is always a tough one for photographers – how do you overcome those pesky shadow issues in the middle of the day?! Now when a client calls and says the only time they have available is at 1:00 in the afternoon, I don’t have to spend all of my time looking for an overhang which will give me even lighting – I can shoot them in full sun. Aah!


Another great part of the workshop is that we had hands on training. Quite a bit of the workshop was done shooting. You never quite learn until you are able to do it for yourself. You can soak in all the information you want but until you actually do it for yourself, you never REALLY learn. I came away with the confidence that maybe I could do this, and have since DONE it! I so prefer my outdoor pics now to my outdoor pics before.


The best part about the whole workshop – being able to meet with other photographers who are in the same boat as me. In our off-hours, and during shooting, I was able to visit with other photographers and discuss how they handle this situation with a particular client or this particular lighting situation. Sometimes I feel like I am alone in this quest of mine to follow my photography dream, but it was great to see there are others out there with the same feelings – struggling to run their own business and handle this particular type of client or light this particular situation, etc.


If you are looking for one workshop to invest your educational dollars, I would say you have found it. In the vernacular of those high school seniors – You totally have to do it!

0 comments: